GRADE: VERY FINE
Abbreviated Notation: VF
Overstreet Numerical Equivalent (ONE) range: 89-75
(Highest possible VF grade = 89, Mid-grade = 82, Lowest possible VF grade = 75)
An excellent copy with above average eye appeal. Sharp, bright and clean with supple pages. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show. Cover inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. Slight wear beginning to show including some minute wear at corners. Staples may show some discoloration. Spine may have a few transverse stress lines but is relatively flat. A light 1/2 inch crease is acceptible. A comic book in this grade has the appearance of having been carefully handled. Pages and covers can be yellowish/tannish (at the least) but not brown.
CHECKLIST FOR THE GRADE VERY FINE:
Note: Comic books in this grade are normally the highest grade offered for sale.
- Outstanding eye appeal.
- Minor printing defects are allowed.
- Minor bindery defects are allowed.
- Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear.
- Cover inks are generally bright.
- Some slight wear on cover, at spine and at corners beginning to show.
- Staples may show some discoloration.
- Spine is relatively flat with a few transverse stress lines.
- No obvious visible soiling. staining, or other discoloration, except for minor staple rust migration.
- Minor corner creasing is allowed.
- Interior pages can be yellowish/tannish, but not brown.
Collectors should thoroughly examine any book touted to
be in this grade. Further, they should be carefully scrutinized for restoration.
Many books graded higher than VF are, in reality, misgraded
and are actually in VF condition.
WEB AUTHOR NOTE:
Besides the listed grades, there are many "in-between" grades such as "VF+" "VF/NM" and "NM-" for example. It is in these areas where things are no longer black and white but various shades of gray; one man's VF(plus) is another man's NM (minus). In a trade/sale, the only "correct" grade is the one agreed upon by all parties involved.
Near Mint |
Very Fine |
Very Good |